We made a step forward by finally putting fish into the system! Beforehand, we put gallons of water into a huge tank and let it sit there for a week or so with a chemical formula to dechlorinate the water. The feeder goldfish came in a plastic bag. We put the bag into the water to allow them to adapt the water temperature. After 15 minutes, we released the fish into the basin and put the bubble makers in to provide sufficient oxygen for the fish (and apparently that is their favorite spot right now). We also bought an autonomous fish feeder. It rotates every 12 hours and drops food into the tank twice daily. However, we did not check the output opening when we first put the feeder in, and it was opened to maximum, so a lot of the food was uneaten.
So far, we’ve only lost two fish. We reduced the output of the feeder by one half. The plants require fish waste as fertilizer to grow; however, the fish waste tends to stay on the bottom of the tank and not go into the pump. We have to stir the water manually at this moment, and we are trying to find an alternative solution to this problem.
Photos to come...